April 27, 2011

Council candidate accused in domestic incident 11 years ago

Travis Nelson is running for the City Council.

When City Council candidate Travis Nelson was targeted by Democrats for having money problems, he fought back with a press statement defending his reputation.

He also subtly launched a pre-emptive strike, in case the Dems intended to go after another blemish on his record: A “domestic” between he and his girlfriend in 2000, when they lived on 27th Street.

According to the Lincoln Police Department’s incident report, police were called to 1905 S. 27th St. after the incident at about 2:30 in the morning in mid-December.
The police report describes the incident as a “domestic argument” between Nelson and his then-girlfriend, Mary Jo Spicka, who is a Lincoln firefighter. The report says there was “pushing, scratches” and that Spicka had an abrasion on the “left forear.” Spicka is identified as the victim in the report.

Lancaster County Court records indicate he was convicted of disturbing the peace and sentenced to one year of probation. In a press statement earlier this week, Nelson said the conviction stemmed “an argument with his former wife prior to their marriage.”

Nelson served probation and completed an alcohol rehabilitation program. He has since remarried, to Ronda Smith Nelson, and has a 6-year-old son (Spicka’s son).

“I fully accept responsibility for my role in the situation,” Nelson said in his press statement. “That event made me take serious stock of my life and changed it forever, for the good.”

Nelson is running against incumbent Democrat Jonathan Cook in District 3, southwest Lincoln.

1. Huskerfan
    Apr 27 2011

Wow. Game Over.

2. Jeff
    Apr 27 2011

That was then, this is now Deena. Get over it. It was a blemish in his life that he’ll never take back, but just because he did this way back when, doesn’t mean he’s capable of being a city councilmen.

3. Mike
    Apr 27 2011

So Danielle Conrad can get drunk and ram her car into a parked snow plow while in office and still get re-elected, but Travis Nelson can’t recover from a minor domestic disturbance more than a decade ago?

Get over yourself. You lost. Sorry.

• Apr 27 2011

If I were writing this for political reasons, don’t you think I would’ve written it BEFORE the primary election?

4. Publius
    Apr 27 2011

Umm, she is just reporting here. I don’t sense any animosity.

5. Huskerfan
    Apr 27 2011

I agree with Deena, she would have reported the same thing if Cook had this on his record and issued it in a press release. She may be doing Travis a favor, HE released this in a press release before the Democrats attacked him for it, Deena is giving him a voice to explain his side of the story.

6. Ronaldo
    Apr 27 2011

Yikes! Nelson made a mistake even running for this office.

7. Leslie
    Apr 28 2011

Totally agree with Mike!!! I’m wondering Deena, has Vic Covalt responded when you contacted him about the non-payment of child support, attorney fees and lawsuit allegations? And, will you write a story with his response on your blog? Can we also hear more about Bobbi Kosmicki?

I have a funny story about Jonathan Cook. We went to school together and he was this tiny little thing (I weighed 95 lbs- probably more than him.) My mother was talking to me about how I should date boys older than me because girls mature faster than boys. Then used Jonathan as an example (my mother worked at a neighborhood drugstore) She said, “They wouldn’t run into the store to buy a piece of gum every time they found a penny in their pocket. You know, like Jonathan Cook. Every time he has something to spend, he comes in and spends it all. If he has a penny left, he wants to know what he can get for a penny.” This was Jr and Sr HIGH SCHOOL!! It’s no wonder he grew up to be a Democrat, only now he’s spending taxpayer’s money!

• Apr 29 2011

Vic has not responded… if he would, I would write about it. What do you want to know about Bobbi?

• Leslie
        May 1 2011

Her background- I’ve googled her and found several offices (it may be old information) and a client that wrote something from ’08 recommending her because she got him off of 2 criminal charges. I’ve just heard she’s filed for bankruptcy, has 5 children to support and works part-time. I know the city council isn’t high paying and I’m not certain Bobbi is married or not (not that it matters) but I didn’t think she was. I’m curious about her. She would be representing my district and I don’t know anything about her other than the few questions she’s answered in the paper and at a LIBA luncheon in April.
        Thanks!

8. Leslie
    Apr 28 2011

I want to clarify that I agree with Mike on the Danielle Conrad comment. I never saw anything political in this- just reporting what’s going on.