Arena contractor to have “pre-submission” meeting Monday
The general contractor building Lincoln’s arena has scheduled a second “pre-submission” meeting Monday — after some complained that the one held Tuesday was not appropriately advertised.
The meeting is to inform potential subcontractors of the qualification process that will be used to select subs for everything from plumbing to electrical work to concrete work in the 460,000-square-foot arena.
Mortenson Construction of Minneapolis is holding a second meeting Monday at the Cornhusker Marriott at 4 p.m. Mortenson says it will select contractors based on their qualifications and proposals.
Interestingly, the Tuesday meeting was not advertised anywhere in advance other than in the sports section of the Journal Star and in an obscure part of the Haymarket Now website. In addition, the qualification documents will be “privately opened,” according to the website where the RFP is listed.
Remember, Mortenson is in charge of soliciting bids — bypassing the city’s usual eBid process, which caused a stir a couple of months ago — so I guess we can expect things won’t go the usual, transparent way we’re accustomed to.
Currently, Mortenson is looking to hire contractors to do:
• Concrete Structure: All cast in place concrete systems including formwork, rebar, pumping, embeds, placement and finishing. Scope also includes all concrete masonry unit construction.
• Structural Precast Concrete Stadia: All precast concrete systems for the bowl seating including erection and caulking.
• Structural Steel: All structural steel detailing, fabrication, and erection.
• Metal Wall Panels: All metal wall panels that form the envelope and exterior features of the building.
• Exterior Glass Curtainwall: All curtainwall and glazing for the building envelope.
• Elevators & Escalators: All vertical transportation systems for the public,service personnel, and freight.
• Plumbing and Mechanical Systems: All plumbing, HVAC, sheetmetal, mechanical equipment, and Building Automation Systems.
• Electrical Systems: All power, lighting, lighting controls, fire alarm, and lightning protection systems. This scope also includes all cable tray, raceways, conduit, and coordination for low voltage systems outside of low voltage/teledata rooms.
• Low Voltage Systems: All cabling, terminations, equipment, programming and commissioning for sound, broadcast, CATV distribution, telephone/data, and surveillance/access control. This scope also includes all conduits, raceways, and cable management inside of low voltage/tele-data rooms.
• Coordinate cable tray and raceway routes outside of low voltage/tele-data rooms with electrical contractor.
Proposals are due by May 20 and can be sent to John Hinshaw, Senior Project Manager, at the office of Hampton Enterprises, 3701 Union Drive, Suite 100, Lincoln, Neb. 68516 and via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information, check out the “request for qualifications” addendum 1 on the bottom of this web page. Or contact: John Hinshaw at email@example.com or (502) 377-4194.